Thursday, April 19, 2012

Enamel Painted Vases

Typically, I consider myself to be a fairly crafty person, so whenever I see DIY projects like this one, it tickles my creative, let's-go-to-Michael's senses.

We have a fireplace, and I have no idea what to do with the mantel. I actually have an entire "fireplace mantels" board on Pinterest, but that's for another day. I thought a few vases might look nice there, so the following project was done with my mantel in mind.

The Pin: Enamel Painted Vases

I purchased a few vases at Michaels, on sale, with a coupon, so the project was very expensive. I bought the paint in a wine red and a buttercream yellow. I already own several quality paintbrushes, but I also picked up a bunch of those disposable foam brushes at 5 cents each. If I make more vases, I think I'll go to Goodwill, because the last time I was there they had tons of glass vases for only 50 cents to $1.

After prepping, I first tried brushing (with the sponge and regular paint brushes) the paint onto the interior of vases, but quickly realized this was not very effective. I could not achieve a thick, solid coating this way. From the outside, the vases looked streaky and blotchy.

In the end, I discovered the most effective method was to pour large amounts of paint into each vase and gently swirl it around until the interior was entirely coated. It was quicker, too! Then I stood each vase upside down for a few minutes to allow excess paint to drip out.

The end result looks quite nice. There was some paint on the outside of the vases and globbed around the rims, so I used some paint remover to clean it up. The only part of the vases I dislike is that you can obviously see the paint when you look in the vase - it's not even or pretty looking whatsover. I'm thinking I may buy a glossy finish just so inside has a more finished look.

Grade: B+


No comments:

Post a Comment